.

24 marzo 2011

Otras 4 canciones que estoy escuchando últimamente, por David Tattersall de The Wave Pictures


Another 4 songs I am currently listening to, by David Tattersall.

1. Vomit Express, Allen Ginsberg.
This song was recorded in the late 60s and has Bob Dylan in the backing band. It's really fun. Ginsberg is just describing a trip to Puerto Rico: ''I'm going down to Puerto Rico, I'm going down on the midnight plane, I'm going down on the vomit express, I'm going down with my suitcase pain''. It's nice that, since Ginsberg influenced Dylan so much, Dylan then influences Ginsberg to make a recording like this. The lyrics of course have moments of great poetry in them, but they are also often crude and funny. I love this song. It cheers me up.

2. Musiqa Heywete, Getatchew Mekurya.
All of us in The Wave Pictures have been enjoying the superb Ethiopiques re-issue series lately. The collection of songs by saxophonist Getatchew Mekurya stands out to me. This is my favourite track of his. His saxophone flutters around like a bird. I don't know the scales that the Ethiopians used, but I tried to copy the fluttering style of playing on my guitar on some recent Wave Pictures recordings. I didn't get it, but it was fun to try.

3. Louise, Leo Kottke.
This song was written by Paul Siebel, one of a host of ''New Dylans'' in the late 60s and early 70s, who recorded 2 albums for Elektra Records and then disappeared. It's a beautiful, very sad story about a prostitute who dies. Many people covered it, including Jerry Jeff Walker and Bonnie Raitt, but no one did it better, in my opinion, than Leo Kottke. Kottke is one of my all time guitar heroes and has a nice baritone voice too. The best version of Louise is the one on ''My Feet Are Smiling'', Kottke's mid 70s live album. Who could fail to fall in love with that slide guitar solo?

4. El Lunar, Duo Los Ahijados
Duo Los Ahijados are Cuco and Martin Valoy from the Dominican Republic. This song, about the moon (or maybe not), is quite beautiful, as are all the other recordings I have so far heard from these two. I guess it dates from the late 60s/early 70s, though I'm not sure.


The Wave Pictures publican su nuevo álbum "Beer in the Breakers" el 2 de mayo (Moshi Moshi / Acuarela).

Antes tienen un montón de fechas por España

No hay comentarios: